Monday, May 5

Ubuntu setting after new installation

I had a system disaster last week, after I updated my Ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04. Finally I removed everything and reinstalled it, and lost everything in my home directory.

Here is a list of things that I have to do after a clean installation:
0, Configure desktop icons to have my favorite dictionary, terminal and Weather Report icon. Enable auto login in Login Window->Security
1, Firefox: install FEBE to restore my Firefox profile. I can't live without proper Firefox and adblocker. The extension installation had some problem, then I deleted /home/ben/.mozilla/firefox/fh7jhxfd.temp/extension.rdf, and it works fine after that.
2, Add Chinese Input in the Language Support.
3, Share a folder by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf
4, Setup Static IP address by editing /etc/network/interfaces.
5, Install Skype, RealPlayer
6, Setup Evolution accounts.
7, Connected to shared printer.
8, Install Regular Express search in GEdit.

9, sudo apt-get install build-essential libxine1-ffmpeg msttcorefonts ubuntu-restricted-extras mplayer amule wine samba smbfs scim-pinyin

Labels: