Thursday, August 16

PGP Whole Disk Encryption

PGP Whole Disk Encryption was deployed in company laptop on Monday. I don't like it already.

The biggest change is that when the computer is turned on, it requires password. I don't remember my password, and I rely on the finger print reader to log me in Windows all the time. Now this PGP WDE doesn't support finger print input, so I actually have to type in the password, letter by letter.

The good thing about finger print reader is that you don't have to remember your password, so that you don't mind to select a strong password, and change it regularly according to company policy. I actually use a passwordsafe software to generate password randomly.

Now with the PGP WDE, I will have to reconsider choosing an easy password to remember.


The second thing I don't understand is: Then you power cycle the laptop, it asks for password. But if you close the lid, it goes into sleep; then you open the lid, it wakes up, brings you directly to the Windows login prompt.


I agreed that if the laptop is stolen, or the harddrive is lost, then the inside data is still kept secrete. That is a good thing.